There are plenty of chores to be done around our house, and lots of them are messy and complicated. The worst one of all, though, is the weekly cleaning of the guinea pigs' cage. I'm sure you're scratching your head right about now, wondering why in the world this warrants a blog post, but bear with me a moment. Consider the participants in this scenario: two reluctant big boys, two over-interested toddlers, two terrified guinea pigs, and one determined mama. Now, add soap, water, rodent poop, and wood shavings, and what do you get? MAYHEM. (Notice I didn't mention Kirk. We specifically try to save this chore for days Kirk is at the fire station. It's just better that way for everyone involved. He is far too tidy a soul to tolerate the kind of nonsense that goes on on cage-cleaning day.) I really should warn the neighbors beforehand, as there is guaranteed to be shouting, crying, squealing, and--naturally--random gushes of water from the poorly-handled hose. Today we were rushing to finish the job between rain showers, so everything was already wet and muddy, and just that much more disastrous. I always feel ready for a glass of wine by the time the cage is clean; today I felt like an entire bottle might be in order.
Hayden needs a closer look at Peaches. Notice Koen has his shirt pulled up so as to avoid any guinea pig droppings. That kid...
Hayden is overseeing Dillon's work. You can probably guess how that turned out. I actually busted him sucking on the soapy sponge. Oh. My. Goodness.
Peaches and Teddy, enjoying a moment's peace after their traumatic visit from Hayden.
All complaining aside, we love Peaches and Teddy. They keep me from being the only female creature in the house, they are definitely teaching the big boys responsibility, and the little boys just adore them.
No comments:
Post a Comment