His arrival was about two and 1/2 weeks early, and quite a surprise, as my water broke at my sister Grace's house in Cottonwood--3 and 1/2 hours away from our home and hospital! As soon as I was certain of what was going on, I left Dillon & Koen with Grace and headed south--driving myself--because, of course, Kirk was at work. I was having strong contractions the entire drive, but made it to Antioch relatively safely. I even stopped by our house to pick up my hospital bag, although in hindsight that was not very wise.
I had originally hoped to make it to the Kaiser Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where the plan was to attempt a regular delivery (which would have been very unique after 2 previous C-sections), but after hours of driving, I definitely could not have made it to Walnut Creek on my own. I was no longer competent to be behind the wheel, so I headed straight for the small, wonderful Antioch Medical Center, which is only about 10 minutes from our home. Kirk made it to the hospital only about 25 minutes after I did, and we waited together for about 2 hours for my c-section. I did labor mightily that entire time, and was ecstatic to finally reach the operating table and get my spinal anesthesia! The surgery and birth were both very safe & successful; most importantly (to me, anyway), Kirk, baby Lawson and I never left one another's side after his arrival. (This was quite a change from my previous deliveries where Kirk & the baby went to the nursery and I was left alone, heartbroken, in the recovery room.)
Now four months old, Lawson is a gorgeous and sweet-tempered baby. He has a truly unbelievable head of blackish-brown hair, huge brown eyes, and he is wreathed in delicious fat rolls. He smiles, coos, and blows bubbles just as he ought; we, in return, act like utter fools in order to get him to keep performing his adorable feats. The big boys are enamored of him: Dillon sings to him all of the time, and Koen even happily loans his beloved stuffed animals to "Little Lawley."
I am also enjoying my time at home with him immensely. Next month marks the longest I have ever been a home-based mom (5 months with Koen), and so far I have only had twinges of wanting to go back to work. Perhaps this is because the little fellow doesn't yet sleep through the night, so I'm frankly too sleepy to even think of going to work in the big wide world. That sleepiness is a wonderful excuse to sit and cuddle my sweet guy, though, and to reflect on how glad we are that he came to join our family!
At 2 weeks old
At 1 month old
At 4 months old

No comments:
Post a Comment